Monday, October 3, 2011

Brenna Allie Sandlian

At 2 in the morning on September 29, I woke up to contractions. First they let me sleep in between them staying about a half an hour apart. At about 6, they were ten minutes apart. Jeffrey and I both calledin sick, pretty sure that we were going to be going to the hospital pretty soon. Whenwe finally decided it wartime to load up to go to the hospital, I strategically planned that I would get out of bed and load in the car aftermy next contraction. So we waited. And waited. And waited. 45 minutes later I had my next contraction. WHAT??!! Jeffrey andI decided to try and jump start the contractions again, so we went for a walk. We walked for a long time. We went down the dugway, back up, all around town. It did not jump start my contractions. We went back home. I was consistently having contractions every half an hour. I spent most of the day curled on the couch trying to survive my contractions. I was just hoping and praying that my water would break so we could go into the hospital. No luck. We decided to go to the volleyball game to keep my mind busy. Jeff had his cell phone out timing my contractions. Ten minutes apart, fifteen minutes apart, eight minutes apart, seventeen minutes apart, nine minutes apart. There was nothing consistent and not close enough yet. I'm sure I was a sight to see. I would be holding a conversation and then randomly hold on for dear life and quit talking. Come on baby!! We went home from the game and I went back to my spot on the couch. At this point, I was ready to google how to break my own water! Contractions a maximum of 30 minutes apart ALL day was really starting to wear on me. About 2:30, my water FINALLY broke! We called Allie and asked her to come pick up Bryell and then took off to Kemmerer. We got to Kemmerer about 4. When we got to Kemmerer I had a contraction on the way through the door. A nurse came up to me and asked if I was okay, I said "I am in labor and need an epidural now!" She led me to the room and got me hooked up on the machines. About an hour after I got there, Dr. Krell came walking in to check on me. He told me that I was going to have a baby before the sun came down. I was extremely excited to hear this! I was in a very relaxed state, considering the epidural was in. I had a nurse come in, look at my monitor and leave quietly. Then the doctor came in, looked at my monitor and left. The nurse came back in and hooked me up to oxygen. The baby's heartbeat was a bit too slow and they wanted to get me on oxygen to help her heartbeat. About a half an hour later, I felt a lot of pressure. I called the doctor in, who checked me and hollared quickly for the staff to get in! It was a very awkward time as they were having a shift change. I had two of every position in the room as the outgoing was filling in the incoming. There was a nursing student that decided she wanted to stay since she had never seen a birth before. Her eyes were the size of basketballs the whole time :) Anyway, we did about 3 timed pushings and were taking a break between the two when suddenly I realized that there was a lot of pressure, I told the doctor and he told me to keep pushing!! At 7:24pm on Friday, September 30th, Brenna Allie Sandlian entered our lives. She weighed 6 pounds, 1 ounce and was 20 inches long.

No comments: